Top-5 mobile farm management apps for your iOS device in 2014
Today, I will continue the series of articles about farm management mobile applications. In this article I’ll be reviewing iPhone and iPad mobile apps that transform your device into farmer’s assistant.
John Deere Mobile Farm Manager enables instant on-the-go access to all your agronomic data:You can view any map and any report from any year. You can view stored data about soil condition on the map. Farmer can use iPhone’s or iPad’s GPS to track his position in the field. JD Farm Manager can generate grid zones for soil sampling tasks.
- View Map – View historical application maps of soil treatment View stored data about soil condition on the map
- View Report – Store and review reports generated by desktop Apex software
- GPS Tracking – Use your device’s GPS to track your position in the field
- Navigation – Get directions from your current location to a field in your database
- Soil Sampling – Generate grid zones and document soil sampling operation
- Scouting – Take pictures and make notes to track what’s happening in specific parts of your fields
+ Easy preview map of soil tests
– Application is very slow when working with more than 60 fields.
Popular web-service Farmlogs recently has released an iOS app, which allows you to record field activity on the mobile device and track field rainfall. Mobile application has a field diary, which allows farmer to keep a diary of tasks but without field maps.
- See recent rain on your fields,
- Track field operations
- Getting crop history.
+ Easy user interface
– Can’t change boundaries on the field
– Activities hasn’t filter
eFarmer – Simple program for agriculture, which allows you to create field maps to keep a history of growing crops in the fields, to take notes on the fields as points of interest,to keep the location of objects in your farm and to keep all activities for each field.
- Field Mapping – A map that provides an accurate plan of your fields. You can input field boundaries with GPS on your device and ‘easy map’ editor. Keep records of your work with map references, and points of interests coordinates. Import/Export your database. Exchange data with other GIS systems in SHP, KML format.
- Farm journal – Save detailed operational information about your farm (tilling, ploughing, seeding, harvesting etc). eFarmer helps you plan and monitor daily tasks.
- Mobile Scouting – record scouting operations. You can input details of weeds, insects and other pests and diseases. Log the severity of a problem as well as crop conditions with GPS points and photos of current conditions.
+ Good mapping tool
– Can’t keep information about seeds, fertilizers, plant protection products, but in the next version will be added this features
Trimble’s Connected Farm™ scout app provide farmers a tool for making field boundaries, locate irrigation pivots. Setting up flags on the map , and entering scouting information for points, lines, and polygon areas. Scouting attributes include an extensive list of weeds, insects and diseases. App allows you to log the severity of a problem, crop conditions and much more.You can take photos and integrate them with your scouting attributes.
- Create a field boundary. Calculate areas (acres or hectares) and map field boundaries.
- Scouting tool. Enter scouting attributes for pests, weeds or diseases and log the severity of problems and crop conditions with photos.
+ Great scounting tool. It can keep detailed information about severity of a problem and crop conditions.
– GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Farm manager is an app designed for farmers to record crops, livestock, and machinery procedures, and access all information with ease.
- Usage of chemicals and fertilizers for crops.
- Details of stock,including: ear tag numbers, bloodlines, breed, and year born.
- Machinery maintenance.
+ Simple Crop & Lifestock management tool
– Can’t create field boundary with GPS.
John Deere Farm Manager
If you use John Deere vehicles and Apex, then JD Farm Manager application will definitely be very useful. he application can get maps of field condition right on the phone. A handy application for precision farming.
It’sa a great appllication for those who want maximum mobility. You can start working in the field, measure the field boundaries, keep information about the main fieldwork and use field scouting.. All steps can be done from a smartphone in the field even without internet connection.
Good application for those who are just starting to use farm management software. User friendly interface and minimum of functions, but this app allows you to keep record of maintenance work on machines and livestock.
This application will suit those farmers who are already using web application and live in the U.S.It allows you to enter and see the rainfall forecast for each field.
Useful application for those who use the equipment from Trimble. It’s convinient for field scouting with a catalog of diseases and pests.
Dear reader, I’m sure that everyone will find the most suitable application. Today, more and more companies produce quality applications that facilitate the daily work of a farmer.
CTO of eFarmer