- Precision farming should be much more affordable. Read more about that
- Precision products should be easy to use.
This article addresses the second point. We need to be honest – our 100 launching customers who pre-ordered FieldBee are not “typical farmers” because they are all interested in new technologies. They work as IT directors, building their own drones and/or work as developers, engineers and/or mechanics.
Keeping in mind our idea to make the FieldBee tractor GPS sensor available for every farmer, we are facing the issue of making it easy to use for customers who are less familiar with new technologies.
For those who don’t have much experience with IT, here are some of the difficulties they might experience when using the FieldBee tractor navigation system:
Initial setup of FieldBee
It can take some time and effort. We estimate that initial set up should take 1-2 hours. To make it as fast as possible, we recommend that you read the manual beforehand. Here is the link >>> FieldBee User Manual<<<. We know that reading the manual may seem like a waste of time, but it can actually save you time…and some aggravation too!
The first thing that you need to do is to identify which of the three modes of using the FieldBee suits you best. Once you do this, follow the manual accordingly.
We have created a special setting app >>> the FieldBee app <<< that should assist you in creating settings. From the experience with our initial customers, we saw that people sometimes get confused during the intallation process. By observing their behavior on the app and the obstacles they encountered, we created a new version of the app to overcome these issues. This is a good thing about mobile applications, we can continue to make changes and improvements.
THAT IS WHY WE SHOULD DOWNLOAD UPDATES ON OUR DEVICES. UPDATES ARE GOOD! 🙂
Setting up the Wi-Fi
The biggest issue that our customers are facing to date is setting up the Internet connection for the FieldBee and RTK base station. Please think about this in advance, right after you have placed your order here 🙂 http://effectivefarmer.com/
If you are using the RTK system, you will need two Wi-Fi access points:
- The first Wi-Fi access point is for the FieldBee rover (GPS antenna that goes on the roof of your tractor). Here the most convenient method is to use a shared hotspot from your smartphone or tablet. We recommend using a tablet for navigation so that you can still receive phone calls and read our posts on Facebook from your smartphone :). Don’t forget about a data card for your tablet.
- The second Wi-Fi access point is for the RTK base station. There are two options for this depending on the way the base station is mounted:
- If you decide to install the base station on the roof of a building, you need to be sure that the Wi-Fi access point is close to the roof and the signal is strong enough. It might be handy to use a Wi-Fi repeater.
- If you use the base station on a tripod in the field, you should have a separate mobile Wi-Fi spot for it that works on batteries.
The good thing about the installation is that the settings only need to be done once. No complicated installations on the tractor are required. And it is really easy to switch the FieldBee from one machine to the other.
Becoming the ninja of the eFarmer Navigation app
In the beginning, some people may experience difficulties using our eFarmer tractor navigation app. Some may even have trouble registering. Our advice: start small, go step-by-step and don’t hesitate to contact us. We have a prominent GET ON-LINE SUPPORT button in the app and on our website. Please use it whenever you have a question!! This way our support team won’t get bored :), and each question helps us to improve the app for you and the rest of the users.
To help you get used to the app, we have also created tutorial videos that are available on our website TUTORIAL. We will send you these videos via email once you have registered. We also want to hold webinars where you can get your questions answered and get practical advice. If you are interested, please sign up here.
How can we provide support worldwide if we don’t have dealers?
This is a great thing about the FieldBee tractor navigation system – there is no need for us to be in your country/city to help you with solving your issues. We do it over the Internet.
For example, we noticed that Gregor, a customer from Germany, was not using the FieldBee. So we asked him “What’s up Gregor? Do you need help?” We set up a time, got remote access to his phone/tablet and configured FieldBee for him. Now he is a happy customer who is driving perfectly straight lines in his fields!
Our goal is to make 100% of our customers satisfied with our products. FieldBee comes with a two-year guarantee.
Like what we do? Join our community of eFarmers on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/eFarmerMobi/
And order your FieldBee here http://effectivefarmer.com/